[CQ-Contest] Emergency Comm'ns & Perceptions

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Emergency Comm'ns & Perceptions
From: wd4ahz@gte.net (Ron Wetjen)
Date: Tue Dec 30 19:09:49 1997
Ward Silver wrote:

> I have occasionally made this point before, but participating in
> emergency communications work is more than just good PR for contesters
> -
> first of all, we're GOOD at the skills needed, and second, we have the
>
> stations in place to do the job.

Ward makes a good point.  I've listened to several of the Hurricane nets
from the Caribbean, and I have to shake my head when I hear some of the
"help" that's out there.  They can't copy a signal thats less that 20
over 9 or buried in QRM, and can't copy, or incorrectly copy, the
information, which results in wasted time and power, trying to repeat
and get things correct.  The last thing someone needs, who has a damaged
house, using a wire laying on the ground for an antenna, and running a
rig off a battery, is to waste time repeating information.  As
contesters we're able to copy weak signals buried in QRM AND usually get
the information the first time it's sent!  Plus, as Ward says,
contesters usually have better stations than the average ham.  Think of
all the emergency communications practice we get in the course of a
year, by working contests ... that others don't have.  As I always say,
if I was ever in danger in in an emergency situation, I'd rather have a
contester come to my rescue first, than anyone else!

73 & Happy New Year, Ron  WD4AHZ

--- Contester, President S.E.R.C., AND EC Sarasota County, FL  ---

--
ICQ #5012385
WD4AHZ Home Page - http://home1.gte.net/wd4ahz/index.htm