[CQ-Contest] Expanding Comm Ports

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Expanding Comm Ports
From: w2up@itw.com (Barry Kutner)
Date: Sat Jan 3 16:24:22 1998
On  3 Jan 98, Michael A. McCarthy <w1nr@eecorp.com> wrote:

>    Again, you don't need 650's for anything less than 115K bps...
>
> 73,
> Mike W1NR
> --
My experience says otherwise. I have an old PC that was originally a
386/25, which I replaced the motherboard to make it a 486/80. It
still has the original serial board with 8450 UARTs. It won't run
reliably unless the speed between the puter and modem is 14.4 or
less. No, it's not my phone lines, as it runs fine at 33.6 on my
Pentium with 16550s.

On a related note, I read in a recent PC Magazine that some of the
new Pentium II systems have NO available IRQs as delivered from the
factory. So you won't be able to add axtra COM ports, etc. Check
carefully before buying.
73 Barry
--
Barry Kutner, W2UP              Internet: w2up@itw.com