[CQ-Contest] Alpha Travel Case

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Alpha Travel Case
From: trogo@primenet.com (Tony Rogozinski)
Date: Tue Jan 6 12:39:08 1998
At 11:27 PM 1/5/98 -0500, T. Wall wrote:
>Anybody know a source for a travel case suitable for an 87A ? Inside
>dimensions approx 22x22x10 inches. Need something before ARRL SSB. I've
>seen some in the $200 range but am looking to spend much less! Tnx es 73
>de Tom K2TW   tjwall@worldnet.att.net
>

>--
>CQ-Contest on WWW:        http://www.contesting.com/_cq-contest/
>Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST@contesting.com

In my travels for the past 11 years most of the time I've had to carry
not only an Alpha but a TS930 and lots of other bits/pieces as well
which in most cases puts me WAY OVER the baggage limits allowed by
the airlines - had 300 pounds of checked/hand carry stuff last year!

I use the Alpha factory box for the RF deck - however I cover the
printing on the box with tape so it's not easily identified as a
piece of electronic gear.  You can put lots of bits and pieces inside
the box too and the weight will still be nominal.  The XFMR goes inside
of a ladies cosmetic case or most recently a Haliburton case of about
the same size.  Holes are drilled in the bottom for mounting.  I can
also put more bits and pieces inside that case.  It's heavy - yes - but
can be carried onboard and doesn't look heavy - your arms just stretch
a bit over the years.  I also carry the 930 onboard along with a small
handcarry unless they stop me at the gate for having 3 handcarries at
which time I let them check the xfmr but don't have to pay excess
baggage charges if it's done that way.  I also have a suitcase checked
with my clothing and more bits/pieces.  A luggage cart with large
wheels is real handy to have for hauling the xfmr/930 thru airports
but is just something else to deal with so I normally use one of the
carts that are provided.  Have had to pay excess baggage charges only
one time in about 20 trips and that was only about $50 in Cyprus so
the system works!

Maybe a little off the subject but info FWIW to all that travel outside
the country for contests.

Tony N7BG

                            Tony Rogozinski  N7BG
                             ONE OF THE VOO-DUDES