[CQ-Contest] GRID SQUARE TO SIX PLACES

Subject: [CQ-Contest] GRID SQUARE TO SIX PLACES
From: baycock@hiwaay.net (Bill Aycock)
Date: Fri Jan 9 18:54:46 1998
Bob- the answer is  you need more significant digits in the location. the
location you gave includes a ten mile square.

To further confuse the problem- the QRZ data base has you at 38.892 by
119.724, and the Buckmaster has you at 38.8011 by 119.574 and in DM08ft.
This is probably because your license has a PO box address.

I have a simple basic program that will calculate the square if you have
the location to closer limits. Its fun to do these, if you have the tools.
Try the geodetic survey maps, or ask the county engineer to help pin you
down, and the rest is easy.

Bill- W4BSG, with a location that Buckmaster has off by ten miles. such is
life.

At 06:58 PM 1/8/98 -0800, you wrote:
>My latitude is 39.1 degrees North and my longitude is 119.8 degrees West.
>Do I need to be more accurate to get my grid square to six places?
>
>I know I'm in grid square DM09. I have a neighbor about 1/2-mile away who
>syas he's in DM09cc. Would I be in the same "sub-square"? Can anybody figure
>out the last two "places"?
>
>Thanks.
>
>73, Bob AA0CY
><AA0CY@CONTESTING.COM>