[CQ-Contest] Generators..Don't kill Your Lineman!

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Generators..Don't kill Your Lineman!
From: ve6nap@oanet.com (Gerald Caouette)
Date: Wed Jan 14 23:57:51 1998
Robert W5AJ wrote:

> Stop.
> A lineman must ALWAYS consider a wire live until:
> 1.  He has proven it dead (hot stick, etc.)
> 2.  Installed ground straps.
> (and some local polices only allow working between ground strap
> installations)
>
> Any lineman touching an unknown wire without proper PPE
> is in violation of the code.  (70E)
> (PPE= Personal protective equipment like HV gloves,
> flash suits, etc.)
>
> All linemen/electricians must be trained on NFPA 70E (1995 version)
> which is the
> standard for electrical safety.  I have heard in the past week more
> electricians saying they are qualified because
> they've done electrical for the past 20+ years.
> They must be retrained in safety on annual basis
> and none interviewed had - a dangerous
> message as I hear it.
>
> Don't say it's the homeowner.  The wire must be
> "considered energized until proven otherwise".
> That's direct from NFPA 70E.
>
> Transfer switches perform important function of insuring the
> unsync'd generator is not placed on a hot buss and .......
> The safety of the lineman is in his hands, he would never trust his
> life that the homeowner (or business) had not backfeed the grid.
>
> Robert W5AJ

You are correct that all ungrounded or straped conductors are to be considered
live..
But it still gets pretty exciting when you test a conductor and have only a
very small voltage signal
that can often be attributed to mutual coupling  and then find out when you
apply the grounding
straps that you have a good phase to phase current source  that was not ground
referenced
until you put on the first strap... PPE protectes you but don't keep your pants
clean ...
and the owner of the offending generator usualy gets all bent out of shape that
you triped his breaker..
or in the case of unprotected equipment let the smoke out..

Ah yes this self same (DSOB) often complains that you blew up some of his 110
volt equipment..

Save on lawer fees  - make him wash your pants.....He Hee Heeee

bye
de
ve6nap@oanet.com