[CQ-Contest] Re:Storm Recovery

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re:Storm Recovery
From: jreid@aloha.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Thu Jan 15 09:04:17 1998
At 08:48 AM 1/15/98 -0400, MarchandJohn wrote:

>Hi Roger,
>
>The latest I've heard this morning is as follows.
>
>1. The US military is airlifting 110 line crews and equipment up to ME,NH,VT
>from the Carolinas to help the line crews on site now and dead tired on their
>feet. (Alot of Mass. ELEC. and Phone crews are up there helping out now.)
>They are also airlifting in replacement poles and power transmission
>equipment to rebuild where necessary.

Thank God for our sense of compassion for others in trouble!  This is
clearly reminiscent of what occurred here on Kauai after Hurricane Iniki
five years ago.  Many utility crews and military personnel from all over
the mainland came to Kauai to help us.  Many roof tops had soldiers on
top nailing down plywood to keep the rain out.  One morning while
taking my wife to the hospital in Waimea,  we drove on a section of
road where there was a straight away for a ways.  Perhaps two dozen
new line poles were set up,  and there was a lineman standing on top
a cross bar on EVERY pole!!?   Their utility trucks were parked across
the road;  and they were from many different communities and
utility companies all around the US!

Unfortunately,  local politics eventually stepped in.  Local contractors were
afraid the outside help,  mostly from the military/national guards men was
taking work from the locals.  So the Mayor made a request to the military
CO on the island to remove the troops!!

So we are still only gradually getting some things back to normal five years
later:  we still have three former major resorts  closed.  Stouffers,  Poipu
Beach Hotel and the Coco Palms (made famous by Elvis in Blue Hawaii).
And the Sheraton Makai only reopened about a month ago!!  Obviously
the military would not have helped with these,  but they were helping
a lot of us  who's homes were badly damaged.

Trust things recover and become normal in the NE ASAP and without
jealous behavior about the volunteer's work  by local contractors!!

73,  Jim, KH7M