[CQ-Contest] CONTEST PLANNER

Subject: [CQ-Contest] CONTEST PLANNER
From: frenaye@pcnet.com (Tom Frenaye)
Date: Sun Jan 18 10:47:30 1998
Interesting idea!  Not sure how far you'll get because operator planning
is a pretty inexact science.

Before MM efforts here I usually start by creating a spreadsheet that has
hours down the columns and bands across the top.  Looking at past year's
logs or rate sheets (mine and others from this area) I fill in the cells
where QSOs actually took place.  No need to have operators scheduled for
times the bands aren't open.

Then I look at the rate sheets and figure out when the highest rates are
(generally those over 30/hour on most bands) and mark them with a "+".
Those are hours where that band must have an operator.  They represent the
hours I need to recruit enough operators for, at a minimum, to be somewhat
competitive.

After that there are a lot of other variables.
        For those who are not full time, when will they be here
        Who is better at running or better at finding multipliers
        Who prefers daytime versus nights
        Are we going to move people to several bands to build experience
                for the future
        Who is knowledgable about each band (propagation expertise,
                operating experience, etc)
        Which bands are most important to the final score (no need to put
                a super op on 160 when the max will be 150 QSOs)
        Who is going to deal with meals, equipment breakdowns, deciding
                when to make unplanned operator changes, fix the
                computer (network), provide the whip to get us moving, etc
        Who is available to get the station ready - test antennas,
                assemble the equipment people are bringing, set up the
                network, (nope it isn't ready and waiting)

Anyhow, I'll be interested in seeing what you come up with!

                        73 Tom

E-mail: frenaye@pcnet.com
Tom Frenaye, K1KI, P O Box 386, West Suffield CT 06093 Phone: 860-668-5444