[CQ-Contest] Re: CQ-Contest Digest V1 #376

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: CQ-Contest Digest V1 #376
From: k1vr@juno.com (Fred Hopengarten)
Date: Mon Jan 19 12:27:10 1998
From:
Fred Hopengarten  K1VR               781/259-0088
Six Willarch Road
Lincoln, MA 01773-5105
permanent e-mail address:  fhopengarten@mba1972.hbs.edu

On Mon, 19 Jan 1998 01:33:24 -0600 (CST) Doug Smith
<desmith@Telalink.Net> writes:

>At least in my copy of the regs, 3.794 is still a legal frequency for
>LSB emissions

>I left the machine going

Dear Doug:

        I wasn't on, didn't jam and never heard you. I am not emoitonally
involved with that situation in any way. However, in my copy of the regs,
broadcasting is illegal. See 47 CFR 97.113(b). Was the machine's
continual repeating of a CQ the sort of one-way informational bulletin
which is legal, such as  the W1AW (and other) bulletin systems?

        My own view of the situation is that the situation you ran into
is a parallel to "road rage," and I stay as far away from such situations
as possible, as they waste a lot of time and the crazies (defined as
anyone attempting to jam me) are never convinced by reason.

        With respect to the 3.750-3.800 window, many questions are not
solved by referring to the Code of Federal Regulations.  For example,
calling CQ on an empty frequency at sunset, when (from the East Coast)
long path to VK6/JA/HL opens up for only a few minutes of greyline with
weak signals., will never make any friends. Yes, the frequency will be
open and quiet, and, yes, one may legally call CQ there any night of the
week. But doing so will still bugger the 12-15 minute opening and rile a
lot of people.

        Welcome back to 80 meters. Listen closely -- there's a lot of DX
hidden around the band at various a times and from various directions. I
hope you have as much fun on the band as I often do (altho I was copying
the HL stations on 80 SSB last night working VE2HQ and there just wasn't
an opportunity to break in and work one -- drat).  Best of luck.

                                Fred K1VR