[CQ-Contest] SO3R

Subject: [CQ-Contest] SO3R
From: w5xx@magnolia.net (Malcolm Keown)
Date: Sun Jan 25 08:18:20 1998
I have been interested in the thread of comments on SO2R for the past couple
of weeks or so.  Folks, this is not a new topic as some people seem to
believe.  It has been documented in detail on this reflector in detail how
W4KFC and W9IOP ran a SO2R during the CW SS in the 50's and 60's (and how
Vic "modulated" his CW note so his signal would be a little different from
everybody else's, and thus stand out in the crowd).

I have been playing SO2R since the early 70's starting with an HT-37/SX101A
and an FT-101.  Sure SO2R can build up your score, but more important to me,
I have found it makes the dull hours of a contest more interesting.  For
instance, the classic case of CW SS on Sunday afternoon ..... a few times I
have gone to sleep while CQing and lost many minutes of operating time.  Now
with SO2R at least I can keep myself entertained while the CQ machine is
doing its thing.

Now that I have a S&P radio with two receivers, and can listen to both
receivers simultaneously by using the audio mixer, I have started practicing
finding two "S&P targets" (not necessarily on different bands) to go after
if no one comes back to my CQ.  Thus, if one target is busy, hopefully the
other one is putting out a QRZ.  If neither is available, I turn on the CQ
machine again.  I guess this makes me SO2.5R or SO3R, but the bottom line is
that I don't get bored and go to sleep.  73 es DX W5XX