[CQ-Contest] Two-Radio Debate

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Two-Radio Debate
From: k4oj@ij.net (k4oj)
Date: Tue Jan 27 23:32:10 1998
a recently vocal W7 writes:

"I'd like someone to tell me one advantage of contesting from the west
coast."

K4OJ predicts:

...the worlds largest country is learning about technology, and  someday it
will be home to a very VERY large number of hams, I say this as I see in my
lifetime more and more countries embracing the ideals of an "America-like"
way of life with its rewards to those who work hard....my gut feeling, only
- but I think you will it to be a popular one.

...like the advantage enjoyed by the West coast to Japan, which was
exploited by W6/W7 contesters in the seventies when JA hams abounded - if
China gets in step with the rest of the world and joins in on the joys of
electronics the amount of QSOs from " BY 15 watters " could be awesome....

...I seem to remember that one year the multi-multi winner in the ARRL DX
was W7RM.

...and like K4VX spoke of, for every contester, there is a wait for that
one weekend when everything is right for his station, and the knowledge he
has aquired can be applied to allow him to seize the moment.

...yes, no question the place to win a DX contest from as it stands now,
and has time and time again been echoed on this reflector is the
Northeastern US with its proximity to EU and the numerous QSOs and
Multipliers they represent.

...but a contest score is the product of not only how many multipliers you
work but the number of contacts you make - and hence the reason very few
DXers win contests - if it only takes one GW QSO on 20 for a W7 to have a
GW multiplier then his W1 counterpart who works 10 of them on 20 meters is
no better off multiplier wise, and if that W7 is running Asians longer and
faster than the W1 is running EU well...

....but this is all olde news, and has been hashed out here before - yup,
you guys on the West Coast are definately not in the best location to work
the low power EU stns on 160....

....when the W1 hears you running Asian QSOs for hour after hour, well -
your time will have come....QRX

...just my view of the future, your mileage may vary

73- see you in the FQP

de

Jim White, K4OJ
k4oj@ij.net
a proud member of THE Florida Contest Group
...visit our website @
http://www.4w.com/deemer/fcg.htm

What's an FQP?
Check out the new Florida QSO Party @