[CQ-Contest] CQ Magazine

Subject: [CQ-Contest] CQ Magazine
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC)
Date: Wed Jan 28 01:43:37 1998
In a message dated 98-01-27 22:56:31 EST, w7why@mail.coos.or.us writes:

>  I was looking at the April 1992 CQ and it had 156
>  pages and cost $2.95  The January 1998 has 105 pages and costs $3.50.
>  Where in the heck did the other 50 pages go and why does it cost so
>  much more????

          First, an immutable law - costs go up. CQ's costs have increased
(paper took some BIG jumps a couple of years ago) and they are still absorbing
some of the increases. They've layed off half their staff in the last couple
of years. I understand that the ARRL lost millions last year (or was it the
year before?) along with some of the manufacturers.

     The amateur radio market has been in a recession for several years. Why
do you think that a number of ham radio stores have gone out of business in
the last couple of years? EVERYONE is watching their expenses. Manufacturer's
aren't spending the kind of money on advertising that they used to. One even
closed their doors.

     You have to have advertising pages to pay for the editorial pages. More
pages of advertising, more pages of editorial.

     The players in the marketplace are for the most part riding this out
until we get the sunspots back and operating becomes FUN again. Remember 10
meters? There are thousands of new hams who have never been on 10. Do you
suppose they'll get excited when they can work Europe on 10? Do you think
they'll start buying radios and antennas and other stuff? I expect so.

     Check the dates and sizes of the magazine - I think they correlate to
sunspot activity. In 92 we were near the top of the cycle, now we're near the
bottom. They can't come soon enough.

73 and bring 'em on!  Steve  K7LXC