[CQ-Contest] Zero power

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Zero power
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Wed Feb 25 10:25:31 1998
At 07:53 AM 2/25/98 EST, Marijan Miletic wrote:
>WVE (also known as ARRL DX) contest specifies three digits as the report and
>they should relate to the transmiter power.  When I used kW in the old days,
>I'd give 599000 reports to the ammusement of many and confusion of some...
>I wonder how can we report our legal 1.5kW output strictly adhering to the
>rules?  On the other end, my QSL manager YL Jelka, S57NW was giving 59950
>last weekend and that was not readily understood either...

I suspect this is one of those rules that has to be tempered with reason.
I received 599K, 599KW, 5995W, 599005, 5995, 59980, etc.  I tried to copy
each as it was sent, on the theory that ARRL intends there to be at least
*some* element of copying skill other than the callsign.

Of possible interest -- for the first time I can recall, in 1945 QSOs (1897
non-dupe)I received not a single signal report other than 599!

73,

Pete N4ZR

In Wild Wonderful, fairly rare WEST Virginia