[CQ-Contest] Public Reporting of UBN data

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Public Reporting of UBN data
From: ve4xt@mb.sympatico.ca (Kelly Taylor)
Date: Mon Mar 16 12:05:28 1998
Hi all,

Having just perused the cqww site and the UBN fact sheet and FAQ, I'm at
a loss to see how the contest community would be served by making all UBN
reports available to everybody.

It seems to me that there is sufficient information contained in each
station's UBN report that an op can glean what he needs to know to
improve his own talent without peeking into others' closets.

I think it would be a mistake to take such a valuable information tool
and diminish it by airing everybody's dirty laundry for all to see.

The conscientious operator will learn what he needs to know (and be
privately humbled) from his report without being publicly scolded. The
unconscientious op doesn't care anyway, so who's interests would be
served by publicizing the data?

The exhaustive log-checking efforts of CQ, combined with the subsequent
penalties for proven bad and NIL Qs, ensures the results are as fair as
they can be, which, in the end, is the whole point of this exercise.
Making a station's UBN files available to that operator is merely an
added service by the checkers aimed at helping him improve. It should
stay that way, in my opinion.

73 all
kelly
ve4xt