[CQ-Contest] RE:WPX rules

Subject: [CQ-Contest] RE:WPX rules
From: aa4lr@radio.org (Bill Coleman AA4LR)
Date: Tue Apr 7 10:02:32 1998
On 4/6/98 2:30 PM, Blake M Meinecke at ku4hz@juno.com wrote:

>Have been reading the WPX rule ideas for quite some time now.  Whether or
>not these ideas would help iron out the east-west inequalities, I don't
>know.  I am relatively new to contesting, but most of these ideas seem to
>me like making the 100 yard dash into a 90 yard dash for the guy with
>short legs?

No, it is more like the 100 yard dash got changed to a 120 yard dash a
few years ago, and since then the guys with slightly shorter legs aren't
placing as well, and they'd like it changed BACK to a 100 yard dash.

I think this point is lost. Although the rules currently state 36 out of
48 hours, they USED to be 30 hours out of 48.

While the 6 hour difference certainly did not eliminate the "east coast"
advantage, it did take some tilt out of the playing field.

>And
>remember also that if the rules are changed, we might be able to fix the
>east west thing, but how would it affect the other amateurs around the
>world??  Should we change the rules to suit "US", so "WE"  can get higher
>scores?

I think what you are seeing is mostly an outcry for the OLD rules. The
posts calling for a 24 hour time limit would probably settle for a 30
hour limit.

>  If things were equal for everyone, we couldn't call it a CONTEST
>anymore could we??  Personally, I think the longer the contest, the
>better, just because I enjoy sitting in front of the radio and
>CONTESTING!!!

So does everyone on the reflector. Realistically, there are only a
handful of "iron" men (and women) who can operate the entire 48 hour
period. Operating long hours is difficult, and more tedious when you
don't have any useful propagation. In short, when the propagation dies,
so does most of the fun.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr@radio.org
            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901