[CQ-Contest] RE: CQ WPX-A Modest Proposal

Subject: [CQ-Contest] RE: CQ WPX-A Modest Proposal
From: kl7y@alaska.net (Dan Robbins)
Date: Thu Apr 9 20:40:08 1998
Trey, N5KO, wrote:

>In the 13 years preceding the change in format from 30 to 36 hours,
>the US SOAB competition in WPX SSB was won three times by three
>different west coast stations and one time by a midwest station.  I
>agree with Art that under the present system the east will win 99% of
>the time.

But this does not prove that the 30 hour contest rule was more equitable
than a 36 hour rule.  Rather, it probably relects the relative contest
activity of JAs (slightly down) and Europeans (huge increase) over that time
frame.

If I were to race against Carl Lewis in the 200 meter dash, I would lose by
a lot.  If we ran the 100 meter dash I would still lose, but it would be
closer.  However, I would not delude myself into thinking that my chances of
winning were better in the 100 than the 200.

The advantage of the East Coast is the geographical proximity to QSO-rich
and multiplier-rich Europe.  That advantage is not time dependent.

                                                Dan KL7Y