[CQ-Contest] RE: CQ WPX-A Modest Proposal

Subject: [CQ-Contest] RE: CQ WPX-A Modest Proposal
From: trey@kkn.net (Trey Garlough)
Date: Sun Apr 12 01:45:05 1998
> >In the 13 years preceding the change in format from 30 to 36 hours,
> >the US SOAB competition in WPX SSB was won three times by three
> >different west coast stations and one time by a midwest station.  I
> >agree with Art that under the present system the east will win 99% of
> >the time.
>
> But this does not prove that the 30 hour contest rule was more equitable
> than a 36 hour rule.  Rather, it probably relects the relative contest
> activity of JAs (slightly down) and Europeans (huge increase) over that time
> frame.

Yeah, *probably.*  Regrettably we will never *know* unless we return to
the 30 hour system that yielded a non-trivial number of non-east coast
US champions during the aforementioned period (and incidentally one
world champion from VK!).

> If I were to race against Carl Lewis in the 200 meter dash, I would lose by
> a lot.  If we ran the 100 meter dash I would still lose, but it would be
> closer.  However, I would not delude myself into thinking that my chances of
> winning were better in the 100 than the 200.

Everyone wants to use a racing analogy to prove their point.  Well,
here's mine:

If I were to enter a 36 mile automobile race and if I were permitted
only enough fuel to power my car for a 29.5 mile race yet others were
permitted enough fuel for a 42 mile race, then I would lose every
time.  However if the race were only 30 miles, then once in a great
while (if I got lucky and had the wind at my back) I might be able to
win.

> The advantage of the East Coast is the geographical proximity to QSO-rich
> and multiplier-rich Europe.  That advantage is not time dependent.

Incorrect.  The advantage is dependent on both geographical proximity
*and* time.  Giving the P4's, HC8's, and EA8's six additional hours to
pile up DX QSO's while at the same time giving the VK's six additional
hours to suck wind is most assuredly a time dependent advantage.

--Trey, N5KO