[CQ-Contest] Contest/DX Pedition Amplifiers

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Contest/DX Pedition Amplifiers
From: neader@centuryinter.net (Scott Neader KA9FOX)
Date: Thu Apr 16 23:21:44 1998
At 05:24 PM 4/16/98 -0400, Rob Shapiro - ND3A <nd3a@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>I have seen various discussions in the past concerning power supplies,
>antennas and transceivers suitable for contest/dx peditions, but don't
>remember seeing any concerning HF amplifiers.  I wonder what amps people
>have travelled with on expeditions and what recommendations there are.
>I realize one must balance several factors, i.e. output power, size and
>weight, ruggedness, etc. etc.
>
>Thank you very much in advance!
>
>73, Rob

I asked this question before going on my first DXpedition in '94 -- see the
summary of responses on my web site at:

http://www.qth.com/ka9fox/mail_summaries.shtml (click on 'amplifiers')

In the end, we took a Dentron Clipperton L and it worked great.  It seems
to fit under most airplane seats.  I brought along one of those fold-away
luggage carriers and used that to haul the amp, a rig, and a laptop around
the airports.  FYI, I see the airlines are getting more strict on what you
bring.
Good luck & 73!

Scott KA9FOX

INTERNET SOLUTIONS - Affordable web page design and storage
Scott Neader (608)788-1234 / FAX (608)787-0100 / KA9FOX@QTH.com
3323 South 29th Street, La Crosse, WI  54601
Free Ham Radio Classified Ads:    http://www.QTH.com
KA9FOX Contesting and DXing Site: http://www.QTH.com/KA9FOX