[CQ-Contest] New WPX Rules - not necessarily the end of the world

Subject: [CQ-Contest] New WPX Rules - not necessarily the end of the world
From: dave@egh.com (David Clemons)
Date: Fri Apr 17 12:58:13 1998
Hi,

        To slightly alter a famous phrase, I would say that this new rule
should not be considered evidence that the sky is about to fall in on the
WPX.  Lest you think that this opinion comes from one of the East Coaster
ops, all of whom allegedly use only the F1 key, let me assure you that in
the last 5 or so years, my only serious operation in this contest has been
in the CW QRP division.  How many qsos do you think I got from the F1 key?
If I remember correctly, it was about 20.

        Obviously I spend most of my time in the WPX concentrating on DX,
and working whatever W's I hear off the back of my beam (now there's
a challenge for QRP!).  However, two years ago after finishing 2nd place
US, I analyzed my log and detemined that I had not spent enough time on
40/80 where the points were doubled.  Under the new rules, my reward for
the "back of the beam challenge" will be increased, but will someone please
explain the logic behind the idea that I will now concentrate on W's, whose
qso point value will still be either 2 or 3 less than DX contacts?  Does
anyone really think I will turn my beams westward and work US stations
and occasionally a few DX stations off the back?

        I don't really know the final effect of this change.  Maybe it
will be a flop, and the old rules will be reinstated.  Maybe it will be a
success and we'll all live happily ever after.  However, I sincerely
doubt that any serious competitor will not continue working DX whenever
possible.  I also think that this will be a big step in giving national
scoring equity to any US station in a geographical area favored in a
domestic contest such as SS.  Doesn't this have the effect of reducing
the W1/W2/W3 advantage that many reflector respondants had desired?  I
think it might be informative if some of you guys in the central or
left half of the US would go back to your logs from the last couple years
and rescore based on the new rules.  You might be pleasantly surprised.
And me?  I don't care - I'll still operate the contest as long as I find
some way to make it fun for me personally.

73, Dave Clemons K1VUT

p.s. I haven't seen the new CQ yet, but my tactical change last year
     produced a sizeable increase in my score - yet 2nd place is the
     best I hope for.  However, being beaten by Doug KR2Q is not
     something to be ashamed of.  (Watch out this year Doug!)