[CQ-Contest] Re: FCG

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: FCG
From: k4oj@ij.net (Jim White, K4OJ)
Date: Wed May 20 08:26:04 1998
WD4RCO de K4OJ

Dave,

Thank you for your interest in the Florida Contest Group.  We appreciate
the referral by your Georgia friends as to which club you wanted to
associate with, hi!

Many of the operating activities we enter as a group are ones which are
sponsored by the ARRL.  These include the 10 Meter Contest, Sweepstakes and
the ARRL Int'l DX Contest.

The rules for the ARRL affiliated club competition, as published every
January in QST, state that all our members must live within a radius of 175
miles.  After looking at the map and finding Paxton I would be lying to you
if I told you you could fit in our circle...even with some realigning of
our turf to include Paxton we would be to exclude the Southern end of the
state.

You are welcome to join our group but we cannot use your score for our
club's cumulative totals.  If I were to tell you otherwise it would be an
un-truth.

If you would like to receive the contest Gazette and "hang out" with us
that is okay - but I feel I should bring the downside of your location to
your attention FIRST!

For several years now I have been asking the ARRL to somehow rewrite the
definition of how an affiliated club's turf is measured.  Due to Florida's
unique peninsula shape it is NOT possible top use a 350 mile diameter
circle and land it on top of our state without about a third of that area
being under water.  Ideally all Florida Hams could belong to our club - but
as the rules stand at the moment you cannot.

Unless that rule changes, Paxton just plain don't fit.  I am saddened that
I have to tell someone eager to join our club that their score - their
contribution to our club's effort  is not possible.

Again, you are welcome to join us and we can use your help with the
Florida's QSO Party, and other operating events...but for the ARRL
sponsored activities, Paxton won't fly.

Thanks again....lemme know!

73,

Jim, K4OJ

Florida Contest Group - visit our website at:

http://www.4w.com/deemer/fcg.htm

The Florida Contest Group sponsors the Florida QSO Party, check out the FQP
website@:

http://home1.gte.net/wd4ahz/fcg/ssqp.htm