[CQ-Contest] CW WPX

Subject: [CQ-Contest] CW WPX
From: w4an@contesting.com (Bill Fisher - W4AN)
Date: Mon Jun 8 08:43:28 1998
>[3830] VE7NTT WPX CW SOAB LP (fwd)
> There was essentially no rate to the States on 20 after the first few
>hours of the contest, a bit surprising as this year there was no
>conflict with Memorial Day weekend.
>Gary Caldwell  VE7NTT

Not so surpising Gary.  People dont avoid the WPX because of the Memorial
Day weekend conflict.  That was just a convenient excuse.

I think the 1-point QSO's will be great next year.  But after this
weekend I still think 30 hours is the better format.  Mainly because it
is a summer contest.  I believe people dont want to waste 3 days on a
contest at the end of May due to the nice WX.  Make it 30 hours, and all
of a sudden it's more appealing.  Don't believe me?  Take a listen to the
IARU contest next month.

Why so much Zone-7 activity in IARU?

    Good point structure and short duration.

Why so little in WPX CW?

    Lousy point structure & long duration.

Again, congrats to N8BJQ for dealing with one of the problems.

73

Bill, W4AN