[CQ-Contest] 2 radio audio mixing?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] 2 radio audio mixing?
From: kg5u@hal-pc.org (Dale L. Martin)
Date: Mon Jun 15 17:41:30 1998
>I use stereo headphones and a dumb box with a 3 position, 2 pole
rotary
>switch. Left position = left radio/both ears, center position =
left
>radio/left ear and right radio/right ear, right position = right
radio/both
>ears. Have heard others like Jay who use a potentiometer to mix
audio in
>both ears and find it helps. I've never tried it so can't
comment on it's
>effectiveness. Others ?

After WPX, I happened to find a bin of 4k ohm slide
potentiometers for $.25 each at the local electronic parts outlet
store (name: Electronic Parts Outlet).  I bought a few and wired
two of them in to my audio/antenna switch box.  I drilled a
couple of holes for the pot arms in a small piece of wood (the
knob).

Now, when I move the pot arms to the right, the left radio's
audio is attenuated a bit and the right radio's increased a bit.
Move it to the left, the right radio's audio is reduced and the
left increased.

I've been playing around with it some, but haven't used it in
contest conditions yet.  It seems to work well and may save me
some reaching for the radio's AF gains.

73,
dale, kg5u.

>73
>
>Jeff  N5TJ

I also
>> take each end of the pot and rout them to a stereo jack.
Right rig in
>> right ear and Left rig in left ear.  I wire the wiper to short
one end
>> of the Pot on the left rig.
>>
>> When I set it up I put the pot in full CCW and adjust the rigs
for equal
>> audio in both ears Stereo.
>>
>> Now by putting the pot all the way CW I have (300 ohm max) I
have a mono
>> both rigs , by moving it CCW I can adjust the Mix of Stereo.
Usually I
>> find I don't like max separation between both ears but some
mix of both
>> radios in both ears is better for me.  Maybe some audiologist
can tell
>> us why.  But its a spatial effect that you have being able to
adjust the
>> radios "spacing" in your head thats kinda fun.
>>
>> Sometimes it cool to put the radios on the same freq for DX
work Say on
>> two different antennas and mix them together.  It helps. You
can null
>> the noise too.
>>
>> I also play with the audio gain in both radios to add another
adjustment
>> to the system.
>>
>> I wonder what guys like N5TJ use.
>>
>> Jay, WX0B
>>
>> Barry Kutner wrote:
>> >
>> > I'd appreciate if anyone in single-op/2 radio land could
explain to
>> > me how they split the audio in the headphones for each
radio.
barry@w2up.wells.com

http://www.contesting.com/_cq-contest/

wx0b@arraysolutions.com |