[CQ-Contest] Help making single stubs

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Help making single stubs
From: k6ll@juno.com (k6ll@juno.com)
Date: Fri Jun 19 13:58:48 1998

On Fri, 19 Jun 1998 04:59:05 -0700 Sam Ferris <ve5sf@sk.sympatico.ca>
writes:

>Need some advice from the contest reflector members who may have
>experience with making stubs

I use a grid dip oscillator, listening on the station
receiver to determine the frequency accurately.

1. Cut the cable slightly longer than the formula indicates.
2. Install a pl-259 on one end.
3. Make a SMALL one-turn hairpin loop, made out of a 2" piece
   of hookup wire. Jury rig it onto the pl-259.
4. Bring the gdo near the loop, but keep it as far away as
   possible, while still being able to detect the null.
5. Start snipping the far end of the cable, leaving it
   unshorted, until it's on frequency. It's not a proper stub
   until there are about a dozen little pieces of coax on the
   floor, and your hand is all red from using the cutters!

I have tried to use an Autec antenna analyzer in the impedance
mode, but there is a very broad region of zero ohms that covers
the whole band. I have also tried Autec's recommendation of
adding a small resistance in series with the analyzer to
reduce diode "suck-out," which occurs at extremely low
impedances, but that didn't help either. The analyzer read
only the series resistance value across the entire band.

Happy snipping!

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ
K6LL@juno.com

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]