[CQ-Contest] Re: Power Level?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: Power Level?
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Sat Aug 8 22:21:09 1998
At 02:55 PM 8/8/98 EDT, AD6E@aol.com wrote:
> Can you really notice (or will your RX
>"capture") a signal that is 1.7 dB stronger than another?  Certainly in the
>realm of high tech digital communications thats significant and measurable.
>In FM communications, thats barely enough to "capure".  But in the ear?  Give
>me a break.

I don't think I buy Paul's argument about AGC differentiating between two
signals 1.7 dB apart, but I *am* convinced that averaged over the course of
a contest, 1.7 dB makes a significant difference, just as surely as you
can't argue in any single QSO, that 1.7 dB more power made THE difference.
But over 24 or 48 hours, X stations just above the noise floor that
wouldn't have been workable otherwise, Y minutes saved by getting out of
pileups just marginally quicker on the average, etc.  Makes a bigger
difference in some contests than in others, but it's always there ...

73, Pete Smith N4ZR
n4zr@contesting.com

"That's WEST Virginia.  Thanks and 73"