[CQ-Contest] Re: Power Level?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: Power Level?
From: W4EF@pacbell.net (Michael Tope)
Date: Sun Aug 9 01:09:56 1998
In an SSB rig, if the two signals in question are 1.7 dB apart, the AGC
voltage developed will be a combination of the two, with the
larger signal responsible for a slightly larger portion of the
total. The signals will still be 1.7dB apart after
detection, hardly a capture effect. Conversely, in an FM system, where detection
 is highly non-linear with respect to amplitude, a small diference in
 signal strength (on the order of several dB) will manifest itself
as one signal appearing at the output of the detector with the slightly
weaker signal being totally suppressed. You can hear this on the FM
broadcast band during a tropo-duct when one station which was clearly
audible will suddenly disappear as another more distant station "phpts"
in to replace it when its signal exceeds the capture threshold.

This having been said, I would agree with Pete's statement below
that although the 1.7dB advantage is probably hard to detect with
the ears, it should yield a slight statistical advantage over time.
As long as the 1.7dB advantage is obtained without violating the
rules, then more power to the louder guy (pun intended).

73 de Mike, W4EF........