[CQ-Contest] A modern Multi Single or.........?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] A modern Multi Single or.........?
From: mzyd108@unix.ccc.nottingham.ac.uk (Marios Nicolaou 5B4WN)
Date: Sun Aug 9 00:31:48 1998

George and George and others

Many thanks for your emails.

N3BB Wrote

K5TR wrote:

> I have never been to Cyprus but I have make 4500 qsos in 24 hours
> from Honduras as a single op at the dead bottom of the
> solar cycle.
>
> And as I recall N6KT made 10,000 qsos in 48 hours with a bit
> more than half coming in the first 24 hours.
>
> So I would say that it is possible to average 200/hr for 24 hours.

An average of 200+ from Cyprus with 10m dead and mediocre propagation on
the other bands, That IS unrealistic with a SINGLE transmitter as is 4000+
QSOs H20A and P3A are claiming for IARU. Of course, CQ WW is another story.
I guess you (K5TR) made 4500 QSOs in either CQ WW or ARRL DX. I know as a
fact that N6KT made 10K in ARRL DX where the whole of USA is looking for
multipliers and not working each other........
These contests:
a) Are single mode (hence everybody is either on SSB or CW)
[But then one can argue that one can be worked twice as many times
(compared to in a single mode contest), but then the CW rate is not as good
as the SSB rate so the overall average rate will be lower. But then you can
have a run station on one mode (160/hour) and a S&P station on the same
band which can achieve a substantial rate (eg 60/hour) by working everyone
on SSB then CW then new people on SSB  (ie total 120/hour) etc etc]
b) Have generally a very high activity level
c) The exchange is the SAME and SHORT ie not serial numbers
In addition it helps if you are somewhere really DX [country or zonewise or
both] (eg HC8 or HR), somewhere near the USA, you are the only station on
from that country during the contest, propagation is good, you have a
reasonably good station and you are a good experienced operator etc
Very few of the conditions above are satisfied as a far as this year's IARU
was concerned. From what I hear propagation from Cyprus during IARU was not
that great (10m was almost dead) and the 4200+ QSOs H20A is claiming looks
very bogus to a number of people on this reflector including myself.

 Well, in any case my last email created a lot of response from a variety
of sources. A lot of adverse experiences. The bottom line (so far) is that
H20A and P3A were violating the  "ONE SIGNAL AT ANY ONE TIME" rule. Please
keep your messages coming.

Best regards,
Marios
5B4WN