[CQ-Contest] A modern Multi Single or.........?" (long)

Subject: [CQ-Contest] A modern Multi Single or.........?" (long)
From: ua9cdc@dialup.mplik.ru (Igor Sokolov)
Date: Mon Aug 10 01:54:39 1998
It may well be that two Russian teams from Cyprus were violating the
"one signal at a time"rule. I understand that it is tempting when you
have all the hardware available for that.
Anyway, unless you heard it on two radios simultaneously, I would not
accuse anybody.
What I am going to argue about is that it could not be done from Cyprus

>An average of 200+ from Cyprus with 10m dead and mediocre >propagation
on
>the other bands, That IS unrealistic with a SINGLE >transmitter as is
4000+

Here is the data from 3830 reflector:

 Call: P3A                      Country:  Cyprus
                                     Category: Multi Single

     BAND      QSO   QSO-PTS   PTS/Q    ZONES  HQ STNS
      160      106      424     4.00     13     17
       80      362     1590     4.39     20     22
       40      432     1936     4.48     26     26
       20     1381     6487     4.70     43     32
       15     1583     7421     4.69     46     29
       10      266     1156     4.35     27     16
     Totals   4130    19014     4.60    175    142

                 Score: 6,027,438 points

Call: C4A (5B4ADA/9A3A op)     Country:  Cyprus
                                     Category: Single
Operator CW

     BAND      QSO   QSO-PTS   PTS/Q    ZONES  HQ STNS

      160       56      220     3.93      9     12
       80       69      287     4.16      9     13
       40      379     1731     4.57     24     21
       20     1000     4784     4.78     37     21
       15     1107     5151     4.65     32     22
       10      137      619     4.52     17     11

     Totals   2748    12792     4.66    128    100

                 Score: 2,916,576 points

 Call: C40M (Op.5B4AFM)         Country:  Cyprus
                                     Category: Single Operator (SSB)

     BAND      QSO   QSO-PTS   PTS/Q    ZONES  HQ STNS

      160       29       89     3.07      6     10
       80       58      230     3.97      8     12
       40      167      731     4.38     18     13
       20     1261     6031     4.78     39     23
       15     1299     6137     4.72     41     24
       10      101      427     4.23     15     11

     Totals   2915    13645     4.68    127     93

                 Score: 3,001,900 points

And you call nearly 300 QSO made on 10 meters DEAD?? And over 1000 on 20
and 15 made by single ops mediocre?
Then compare the pattern on the above scores. You will notice that the
greatest difference is on 80 and 10 meters. That is where the MS shows
up. 3 or 4 ops working as a team can push the rate up to 200 even in
S&P.

>QSOs H20A and P3A are claiming for IARU. Of course, CQ WW is >another
story.
>I guess you (K5TR) made 4500 QSOs in either CQ WW or ARRL DX. >I know
as a
>fact that N6KT made 10K in ARRL DX where the whole of USA is >looking
for
>multipliers and not working each other........

Same happens there. Big signal from Cyprus attracts a lot of 001
stations and being part of Asia gives points. The geographical position
ensures the pile up even under poor conditions. Count how many would be
contacts there are in the vicinity of 1000 miles.
>These contests:
>a) Are single mode (hence everybody is either on SSB or CW)
>[But then one can argue that one can be worked twice as many >times
>(compared to in a single mode contest), but then the CW rate >is not as
good
>as the SSB rate so the overall average rate will be lower.
You see, you argue with yourself. As for the CW rate, during 9M6
operation in WPX CW this year we often had a rate of 150+.
I assure you that in IARU where you do not need to copy the serial
number the rate can be up to 200+. It is very tiring but that is what MS
for with several good ops around to take over.

>But then you can
>have a run station on one mode (160/hour) and a S&P station >on the
same
>band which can achieve a substantial rate (eg 60/hour) by >working
everyone
>on SSB then CW then new people on SSB  (ie total 120/hour) etc etc]
That is the theory. Again it is tempting to do it with more then one
signal though...

>b) Have generally a very high activity level

IARU from the center of EU is easily matching this criteria.

>c) The exchange is the SAME and SHORT ie not serial numbers
We got that in IARU

>In addition it helps if you are somewhere really DX [country >or
zonewise or
>both] (eg HC8 or HR), somewhere near the USA, you are the >only station
on
>from that country during the contest, propagation is good, >you have a
>reasonably good station and you are a good experienced >operator etc

Well, I think that being in the center of EU and be counted as Asia is a
GREAT advantage. There are very few places like Cyprus where
geographical position is so good and being near EU is not worse then
being near the USA.

>Very few of the conditions above are satisfied as a far as >this year's
IARU
>was concerned. From what I hear propagation from Cyprus >during IARU
was not
>that great (10m was almost dead) and the 4200+ QSOs H20A is >claiming
looks
>very bogus to a number of people on this reflector including >myself.

I thing the above conclusion is pretty far fetched...

>Well, in any case my last email created a lot of response >from a
variety
>of sources. A lot of adverse experiences. The bottom line (so >far) is
that
>H20A and P3A were violating the  "ONE SIGNAL AT ANY ONE TIME" >rule.
Not until it is proved, although I do not exclude such a possibility.
Victory at any cost - was always a motto of Soviet Radiosport and that
is build into psychology. Therefore it takes time...

>Best regards,
>Marios
>5B4WN

Best regards,