[CQ-Contest] Re: Power Level? (and Rates)

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: Power Level? (and Rates)
From: k1dg@ix.netcom.com (k1dg@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Wed Aug 12 21:06:28 1998
dr. Bafoofnik wrote:

>My question is this, my exciter has a terrible leading spike,
>this momentary 50 kw pulse won't make me illegal will it?

My friend W9XR is definitely a leading Spike, and often exciting, but in no
way terrible. He can run as much power as he wants, and I won't consider him
illegal. As long as he keeps buying the beer at Dayton.

Or maybe we need a category called "momentarily illegal"...like "temporary
insanity"? In which case Spike qualifies for both.

Doug K1DG
k1dg@contesting.com

p.s. A couple of comments on this rate thing...my best 1-hour SSB rates from
the Caribbean have been 325 to Europe (usual rates are in the 200+/- range
at the peak of the opening) and 412 to the U.S. (usual rates 300-350 at the
peak). Accuracy seems to be fine. My American English language skills are
much better than my Italian, Serbo-Croat, German, French, Russian, British
English, Swedish, Finnish, Czech, Polish, Hungarian, Bulgarian, etc. skills.
I just talk faster than N6AA. Except when I'm Homer, who cain't seem to
break that danged 300 rate, but shore can run them fowahs better'n me.