[CQ-Contest] CW speed - send vs. copy

Subject: [CQ-Contest] CW speed - send vs. copy
From: windev@inetmarket.com (Gerry Hull)
Date: Tue Nov 17 12:29:11 1998
Dan,

Here's my 2c on the CW send-receive issue:

1.  While calling CQ, I send fast, as fast as possible.   My typical
    CQ speed ranged from 33 - 38 wpm.  In past SS', I've had stations
    come back and say QRS.  I did'nt have a single station do this
    in SS this year, and their were plenty calling.  My CQ and exchange
    was sent via CT, while I had an external keyer set up to send
    repeats at 15-20 wpm.  Now, even though some people came back at
    less than 20 wpm, I still sent them the exchange at whatever my
    current speed is.  I certainly have no problem if the op comes back
    with an exchange at 15 wpm, as many do.  If the op then says "agn please",
    I would then use the keyer and send the exchange at their TX speed.
    In general, I figure that if they are answering my CQ, they
    should be able to copy.  Besides, one of the purposes of the contest is to
hone your
    CW skills.

2.  Before I was good at CW, I did like most others -- listen to a station
    calling CQ, then respond once I had most of the "static" data.  SS is a
    great contest for pushing your CW skills.  Call CQ in the "slow" portion
    of the band, but push yourself by S&P'n thoughout the band, and calling
    even the fastest of ops.  Reply at any comfortable speed.  I promise, we
don't bite!

    Just my 2c...

    BTW, W1VE   NH     53,534     337x71 in 7 hrs, 40m low power

   73,

   -Gerry, W1VE, VE1RM