[CQ-Contest] Non-contesting 10 meter window

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Non-contesting 10 meter window
From: kk7gw@yahoo.com (David Jones)
Date: Tue Dec 15 03:34:09 1998

- ---"Henderson, Dan N1ND" <DHenderson@arrl.org> wrote:

> Meters for the ARRL 10 Meter contest.  Foremost is the fact that for
> Novice/Tech-Plus operators in the US that is their ONLY H.F. Phone
band.
> If the rest of us don't wish to Contest, we can move to another band,
> including the WARC bands. For phone operation, the Novice/Tech-Plus
> licensees don't have that luxury; hence a small portion of their band
> has been set aside as non-contest window."  This seems reasonable and
> fair, and in the spirit of community.

While the intent is noble, practically, this doesn't work out.  Are we
now going to see a rule change in the ARRL DX SSB contest to this same
thing?  For that matter, during any phone contest are we going to do
this?  During the IARU HF Championship, also both modes, you don't see
anything like this.  The point was raised about changing bands.  Okay,
during ARRL DX SSB or CQ WW SSB, or SS SSB for that matter, what band
would you change to?  WARC bands?  Good alternative, but 30m is CW
only, and on older radios 12 and 17 aren't covered.  Additionally, as
mentioned, 10m is the only Phone band for N/T+'s.

Again, I say, are we going to see rule changes in all phone contests
now?  The rule has good intent, but it truely can't work in practice.

>you would  be risking
> disqualification from the contest.

Okay, I say again, how do you enforce this??!  Can any contest sponsor
enforce the SO Assisted rules?  Can any contest sponsor enforce power
out rules?  Again, the rule has good intentions, but I don't see how
you can enforce this and BE FAIR.  Don't DQ one person for this unless
you can DQ everyone...and how are you going to know?

I'm trying not to be too much of a pain in the rear, but this needs to
be said.

73

==
David Jones, KK7GW