[CQ-Contest] SS checking and casual op'ing

Subject: [CQ-Contest] SS checking and casual op'ing
From: srobbins@usit.net (Scott Robbins)
Date: Tue Mar 9 19:52:28 1999

Posit:

Stricter log checking is going to keep the interest level of the
casual contester in Sweepstakes lower.

1) By definition, are most readers of the cq-contest reflector
   casual contesters?

2) Would casual contesters even know that log checking procedures
   have overgone a drastic change if they didn't read the
   reflector?  If they don't know, would they care?

3) Strict log checking has been going on in CQ WW for years.
   Has this reduced the interest of casual contesters?

4) Why on earth would a casual contester, not competing for an
   award or top 10 position, be more upset than a serious all-out
   nutcase like me about score reductions?

5) If 1 is no, and 2 is no + no, and 3 is no, and 4 is a variant of
   "I dunno" then the posit must be false.

My .02:  Check every callsign and every exchange possible.  If we're
going to allow for a tolerable degree of sloppiness then it isn't
really much of a contest.  I say check the logs thoroughly for all
level of entrants.  I'd be pissed if I knew someone beat me because
they had a more sloppy log with more Q's than I did and no one
checked it (and I'm sure it must have happened, sometime, somewhere).

You really want to see some bad score reductions?  Ask K5TR to post
his 3830 claimed vs. actual score findings from the 1998 IARU HF
contest to the reflector.  George, how about it?

Below is my SS CW report from N6TR.  99.6% of QSO exchanges checked!
I like it!  I was a QRP entry, 817 raw QSO's.

Scott Robbins, W4PA

                        SWEEPSTAKES LOG REPORT FOR  W4PA

Dupe check results
------------------
KG9N is a dupe on line #784.

Callsign check results
----------------------
W2DR was not found in the SS database.  Received QSO# = 1

KI4TD is a busted call.  The correct call is KI5TD.

There was one call judged to be incorrect.

Precedence, Check and Section Check Results
QSO #75 K7MM : Q 58 Ew should be Q 68 Ew
QSO #549 NT2W : A 93 NNj should be A 93 NNy
QSO #696 KD2P : A 69 SNj should be A 79 SNj

99.6% of your non dupe QSOs had their exchanges checked.

There were 3 exchange errors found.

Cross check results
-------------------
QSO #414: Received QSO# 136 should be 236 AB5I
QSO #544: Received QSO# 215 should be 213 W8BD
QSO #561: Received QSO# 97 should be 297 AJ4F

57.5% of your remaining good QSOs were cross checked.

Multiplier Calculation
----------------------
List of 78 mults = De Az Mn Co Scv Lax Ab Sk Sjv Nm Org Mt Sdg Sv WTx STx Nv
Ut Ep NFl Ok Il Ia Vt ENy Wi Mb NTx Sd Tn WNy Va Nd Mo Pac Ar Ri NNj Eb WMa
Vi Id Bc La Or Nwt Nc NLi Oh Sc Em Ky SFl WPa In Ew Mi Sf Ga Mdc Wv Pr Ak Mar
WWa Wy Me Ct Ms SNj Al Sb On Ks Nh Ne NNy Qc

Score summary
-------------
    Raw QSOs = 817
       Dupes = 1
 Busted QSOs = 7
  Valid QSOs = 809
Penalty QSOs = 3
  QSO Points = 1612
  Multiplier = 78
 Final score = 125736
 Error rate =  0.9%

Visit the Tennessee Contest Group at <http://www.k4ro.net/tcg.html>
       'Shall we go...you and I, while we can? Through the
        transitive nightfall of diamonds?' - Grateful Dead
The views expressed above do not represent the view of my employer.