[CQ-Contest] SS scoring and points

Subject: [CQ-Contest] SS scoring and points
From: n6ig@netcom.com (Jim Pratt)
Date: Wed Mar 24 16:55:38 1999
When I first got on for the November Sweepstakes many moons ago, I recall
asking someone why QSOs were worth two points, any why the (then paper)
logs allowed you to put down a point value for the QSO.  I was told that
the contest used to allow for one-way QSOs, in which case there would
only be one point assigned to that QSO.  In other words, if you sent your
exchange, but didn't copy the exchange, you could still claim one point.

I have always doubted the validity of that story, but it does raise an
interesting question in my mind.  All of this discussion about busted
exchanges in the SS seems to relate to a bunch of people having a bunch
of one-way QSOs.  If a person sends the exchange correctly (and it shows
up in another person's log correctly), but s/he busts the received
info...voila, a one point Q.  More importantly, if s/he consistently
sends the exchange incorrectly (as demonstrated by what others have
received and a pattern has been ascertained), then s/he is docked a QSO
point for each "bad" exchange sent.

This is probably unwieldy, but perhaps it is worthy of discussion.

I applaud the SS log checking, despite being docked with a 2.5% error
rate on CW.  I believe I am in good company.

73, Jim  N6IG