[CQ-Contest] Contesting in year 2000?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Contesting in year 2000?
From: rcommo@ricochet.net (Rick Commo)
Date: Fri Mar 26 07:50:44 1999
>>          ...  I bet I'm not the only cheapskate ham still running
>>old PCs with non-compliant BIOS.  But there _is_ a solution.  ...

        On the other hand, if you're willing to use a screwdriver, you
        can go to http://www.pricewatch.com and look for a new mainboard
        (motherboard).

        In what may be the penultimate computer screw-up I have ever done,
        I flashed a new BIOS into my 1994 ASUS motherboard.  Unfortunately
        when I downloaded it the mouse was apparently sitting on the edge of
        a menu selection...  You got it!  I flashed the BIOS for a different
        model   rendering mine inoperative (extreme blush on this one).
        Corollary: DON'T do this kind of stuff at a time when you're in
                        a rush and can't triple check everything!!

        I could have ordered a new flash chip.  Assuming ASUS would still
        stock them the total bill would have been around $35 or so maybe
        higher.

        For $71 + shipping I got a new mainboard (Cyrix CPU included) instead
        that uses all the       cards and memory of my old box and brings me up
        from a 75Mhz P54 to a 233Mhz C8x86.  For running logging programs
        that should be sufficient.

        Incidentally, my office mate is young engineer who kept himself in
        loose change building computers for his friends.  He tipped me off
        to http://www.pricewatch.com and http://www.buycomp.com.  There's
        a lot there that can save you a few bucks.

73s,
- ricK1log/7