[CQ-Contest] Log checking & Penalties

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Log checking & Penalties
From: v31jp@logical123.net (v31jp@logical123.net)
Date: Thu May 6 00:32:28 1999
I am glad to see the improved log checking. I know, in
the past, I have lost a few Q's due to miscopied calls.
Not a problem. I have my logging software and if I
mistype a call or miscopy a call, "I" made an error.
When I am CQing, my computer sends the call I have
typed into my computer. If it's wrong and the other
operator doesn't correct me, we both should lose. In
S&P, it's all up to me, propagation and anything else
that might make me copy or type a call wrong, and it
happens.

I do not log calls that I have a question about, but I
and my system have made errors. I look forward to seeing
my errors and to learn from them. I have picked up some
darn good hints in the previous thread.

I do question penalties vs. loss of contact for busted
calls. I would think that there should be a threshold
for assessing penalties. Above a certain percentage of
errors, penalties should be assessed, but in the lower
levels, only the loss of a contact.

I am curious about a couple areas in log checking. How
are paper logs handled? What percentage of received logs
are still submitted on paper? I have long since dispensed
with paper logs, but I know that many have not made the
move to computerization of their stations. Today, it is
easier and cheaper then ever before, but not all hams are
inclined or computer literate enough.

--
73 de K8 Joe "Palooka" & Beverly
Joe Pontek