[CQ-Contest] Penalties and Busted Calls

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Penalties and Busted Calls
From: w9cf@ptolemy.la.asu.edu (Kevin Schmidt)
Date: Mon May 10 06:24:48 1999

Len Revelle <lenrev@mc.net> wrote:

>From: Ted & Joyce Wilhelm <k9huh@icss.net>
>>
>>I do have a slight problem with getting clipped for 3 Q's each time I
>>used O for  zero.... Maybe I should go back to logging on paper and
>>see if anyone can unsramble my chicken scratching.
>
>Agree. I defy anyone to discern my zero from the letter "oh" in
>pencil. This error has nothing to do with operating skill, rather an
>issue of typing skill. Don't think touch typing drills are part of the
>test.

In the bad old days I wrote Fortran on an upper case only teletype and
later glass TTYs that only had upper case. I often made the mistake of
mistyping 0 and O. Twenty or more years ago I switched to full ASCII
devices that used both upper and lower case, and by using lower case,
(Fortran 66,77 are monocase languages) I never made those mistakes again.

Similarly, if our logging software would show our calls the way I prefer,
we could easily tell the difference between typing wo0o and w0oo

73 Kevin w9cf
Kevin Schmidt, w9cf@ptolemy.la.asu.edu, http://fermi.la.asu.edu/w9cf
Department of Physics and Astronomy
Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ 85287-1504
(480) 965-8240
(480) 965-7954 (FAX)