[CQ-Contest] SCP and the Florida QSO Party(?)...

Subject: [CQ-Contest] SCP and the Florida QSO Party(?)...
From: rrossi@btv.ibm.com (Ron D. Rossi)
Date: Thu May 13 17:07:51 1999

> I see the net effect being to penalize ops whose skill allows them to
> encourage non-participants to call. In many contests, these ``not in the
> contest, just thought I'd help'' QSOs differentiate the winner from the
> runner-up. Especially when the Sunday blahs hit in SS.

Speaking of uniques...

I was in the back of an open pickup truck with a few other St. Albans
Amateur
Radio Club members and our kids slowly rolling down the road a few weekends
ago. We had my TS-850 hooked up to a tri-band vertical trying to work some
stations. Do I hear anyone asking why the heck we would be doing that?! Is
that what y'all do for fun in Verrmonnt? Well yes, between cow tipping and
tapping maple trees, but we were also in the middle of a parade!

The setup was well less than ideal, but it worked. We had the rig's audio
amplified and run to a pair of speakers off the sides of the truck. The
Florida QSO Party was is full bloom and the only reasonably strong station
we
could reliably hear was W4MLB CQing away and working folks at a relatively
good clip. Wanting to give the folks in the crowd something to listen to
other
than static that is where we stayed tuned. I tried to tell him how well he
was
really being heard when I worked him, but the connection from our end was
pretty poor. We had to keep tipping the antenna down to clear traffic
lights.
He was the only station I worked with my callsign in the FQP. Now that is a
truly unique unique!

I guess you never know exactly WHERE your signal makes it to!

This picture was taken very nearly when I was making the exchange with
Howard.
http://www.qsl.net/kk1l/FLOAT2.JPG

BTW I did not use SCP with the paper log for the parade! ;)

--
73 de KK1L...ron (kk1l@arrl.net) <><
QTH: St. Albans, Vermont