[CQ-Contest] SCP in practice

Subject: [CQ-Contest] SCP in practice
From: vr2bg@harts.org.hk (VR2BrettGraham)
Date: Thu May 13 16:30:32 1999
I use SCP.  It comes from my own logs.  What I hear goes into my logs.
What I see on the screen may help me focus on what I'm hearing, but
it's still what I hear that goes into the log.

With more than a decade of logs fed into the thing, compliled lists of
active calls serve more to weed out what I've worked before & am unlikely
to work again, provided I remain reasonably active.  I wouldn't
consider using more data than that from others.

I really don't see what's wrong with that.  To rely on it exclusively
is clearly foolish.  It certainly is easy to do.  But to ban it
because of potential abuse is unfair to those who don't.

It's been 15 years now, but even I can still remember the likely
precedence, check & section of some of stations back when I could
dupe in my head with just two or three errors for Top 10 low power CW
finishes in SS.  Today's SCP only computerizes that ability, as logging
programs have done to my paper logging & non-memory keyer sending of
CW back then.  Ban SCP & we'd have to ban the rest, as far as I'm
concerned.

There will be those who abuse SCP, but those who do & claim high
scores will be caught by increasing log checking.  They don't worry
me, but if I were just another W7 again making so-so scores, perhaps
I'd be a bit more concerned about abusers at my level who might not
be so closely scrutinized.

SCP abuse is detectable, but other abuses aren't & we should really be
concentrating on them if we want to keep improving radiosport.

73, VR2BrettGraham