[CQ-Contest] Re: [dx-list] Are You a Contester ?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: [dx-list] Are You a Contester ?
From: p.piercey@roadrunner.nf.net (Paul J. Piercey)
Date: Sun Jul 11 13:56:09 1999

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Kehler <kh2d@kuentos.guam.net>
To: 'mdixa@egroups.com' <mdixa@egroups.com>; 'dx-list@egroups.com'
<dx-list@egroups.com>
Cc: 'cq-contest@contesting.com' <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [dx-list] Are You a Contester ?

>This weekend was the IARU contest. I like to fancy myself as
>a 'contester'. Not as much of a contester as I was 15 years
>ago, but a contester none the less.

snip snip

>Some people don't LIKE contests. And after this weekend,
>I have a much better understand of WHY some people
>don't like CONTESTERS.
>
>The next time they start beating us up, I don't think I'll
>be as quick to defend us as I used to be.......
>
>73, Jim KH2D
>Mariana Islands DX Association & Logger Info Page

There are 2 sides to everything. I was operating in a contest recently with
my 3 el tribander and 90 W, calling on a nice clear frequency when, out of
the blue, one US station called another on the frequency I was using. The
second station replied and they started a QSO, without asking if the
frequency was in use, and despite my asking them to QSY. I kept calling CQ,
figuring they couldn't hear me anyway but it made life pretty hard as one
station was 30 over S9 on the back of my beam. Nonetheless, the European
stations were stronger so I continued. What I found galling was once when
stopped for a breather, Mr 30 over commented as to whether or not I was
finally gone and the other station stated that he especially likes to
operate during contests to squeeze as many of them (contesters) off the
bands.

I guess it makes these guys feel big to do that. So be it. I kept calling CQ
and got a pretty good score for a novice contester. One UK station mentioned
that he had been listening quite a while and wondered if I heard the other
stations. I merely replied that, in fact, they were not too strong with me
and, as long as I wasn't interfering with their QSO, they certainly didn't
bother me. I think they finally got fed up and left soon after that.

To each his own. Anyway, just wanted to relay that little story to
illustrate the other side of the coin. Both sides need to be a little more
respective of the other. Contesters can be band hogs but so can
non-contesters.

73 and CU in the IOTA contest.

Paul VO1HE