[CQ-Contest] TS-850SAT

Subject: [CQ-Contest] TS-850SAT
From: k4nr@earthlink.net (Tom Branch)
Date: Sat Jul 10 18:40:08 1999
Greetings,

Just upgraded from a TS-450 to the 850.  Works great on CW--has terrible RF
problem (microphone audio) on phone.

The stock microphone works well, but the Heil Pro gets some RF feedback on
20 and 80 meters.  Just drove a new ground consisting of 2 8-foot ground
rods and 1.5 inch braid to the shack ground bus--also ran the braid from the
bus to the radio and amplifier.

The antenna is a Force 12 C3 with slopers on the low bands.  Tower is about
37 feet from the shack (small city lot) .20 meter problem is worst when the
beam points at the shack.

I understand that the TS-850 was prone to this type of problem because of
the floating ground on the microphone audio circuits.

I tried various caps across the microphone hot and ground with some success
and  replaced a questionable PL-259.  I can now run the Heil Pro (breaks up
now and then), but still cannot run the contest voice keyer (W9XT internal
card).

With all that said--any ideas on fixes?  Any other radios that might be
better for my situation? ($1500 range-used)

TU es 73 de Tom, K4NR