R: [CQ-Contest] Re: Last 2

Subject: R: [CQ-Contest] Re: Last 2
From: i4jmy@iol.it (Maurizio Panicara)
Date: Thu Jul 29 01:46:14 1999
>> I've long suspected a big cause of this problem in contests is when the
>>  operator only gets part of the call, and says "the station ending in
...."

This has nothing to do with limited capability pileuppers deliberately
asking for partialized calls and with people with such wrong habit.

The "ending in" (starting with, or simply with) doesn't mean that someone
likes to be called with partial calls, it qualify only what it was copied
and that the pileupper wants that station only and noone else to go ahead.

If everyone with no match would stay quiete, the pileupper is happy if now
that partly identified station reply with a full callsign speeding up the
qso.

Often, meanwhile running high speed pileups it's perfectly possible to catch
one or two full calls plus some incomplete ones.

Wouldn't it be qrm generating, silly and time wasting to try detecting an
already partly copied callsign among all the others making a general qrz
instead of giving a specific call to that station in the clear ?

73,
Mauri I4JMY (one of IR4T)