[CQ-Contest] CAC Ruminations About ARRL DX Exchange

Subject: [CQ-Contest] CAC Ruminations About ARRL DX Exchange
From: k4sb@mindspring.com (K4SB)
Date: Thu Aug 26 21:09:29 1999
thompson@mindspring.com wrote:
Hey gang,

Do you know how complicated distance scoring could be...that 160
meter
contest with grid squares is so complex you send in the Q's and
the contest committee computes the score...and no paper logs
allowed so you leave out  35% of possible contestants.  Nothing
wrong with grid squares otherwise..

> Dave K4JRB

Well, with all due respect to my buddy here, the coding to
automatically
calculate and score the grid square is simple. Would require a
database say based on the geographical center of each 4 digit
square, ( and since the squares are so precisely defined, even
that might be eliminated ) and the simple entry of your own
Lat/Long.

I don't know of any logging programs today which do not calculate
the bearing and distance to a station based on his call. That
programing is already present. Just add the database, which a
computer would create for you in about 1 minute.

I sorta like the Grid-Distance scoring.

73
Ed