[CQ-Contest] Cut Numbers in Log Checking

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Cut Numbers in Log Checking
From: w8ik@ibm.net (Joe Subich, W8IK)
Date: Sun Aug 15 10:37:22 1999
I hate to sound like I'm picking on the log checker, but this stand
on "cut numbers" is dead wrong.  In case anyone has forgotten, all
contest exchanges started out as "message copying" exercises.  Anyone
who has EVER copied message traffic is told "WRITE DOWN EXACTLY WHAT
IS SENT ... DO NOT 'INTERPRET' IT."  In message handling, unless one
receives standard texts (ARL nnn, 73, etc.) the message is always
delivered "as received."

While contest "messages" (even SS) have been shortened over the years,
the exchange it is still a message and should ALWAYS be copied as sent.
*IF* cut numbers are prohibited by the contest sponsor (and any
prohibition should be spelled out in the published rules), the SENDING
STATION should be penalized ... after all, most summary sheets these
days include the notation "all reports 59(9) zzzz unless noted."

73,
   ... Joe Subich, W8IK/4  ex-AD8I
       <W8IK@IBM.NET>