[CQ-Contest] Cut Numbers in Log Checking

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Cut Numbers in Log Checking
From: n5nj@att.net (Robert Naumann)
Date: Tue Aug 17 13:48:05 1999

Jim , et al;

There is no need for conversions to be done.  *Standard* abbreviations, and
"shorthand" that is commonly used should be permissible in the log files.
Having a program allow for these should be relatively simple.  I should also
think that this is the exception rather than the rule.  After all, CT (and
other programs) defaults the reports as 599, not 5NN or ENN no matter what
is actually sent by the other station.

I don't think this is a significant burden to the log checkers, except when
initially developing the checking program.  One time, and it should be done.
Granted, there can be many variations and perhaps when a new variance is
detected, a report should be generated that could be reviewed manually.  The
outcome of this would be to augment the "acceptable variation list" which
could serve to reduce manual work in the future.

My point is that anyone who would look at the log file with their eyes would
recognize that 5NN 5TT represents 599 500 - the log check program should
also.

I don't think this is all that controversial.

73,
Bob

Robert E. Naumann
N5NJ / V26O