[CQ-Contest] CQ Certificates. Money talks.

Subject: [CQ-Contest] CQ Certificates. Money talks.
From: jfleming@shelbynet.net (WA9ALS - John)
Date: Wed Sep 22 11:47:51 1999

Reading these threads makes me think that we might all learn a lesson from
the first PSK31 contest beginnings.  Emailed scores/logs, honor system,
almost instant results gratification via reflector, and prizes like belt
buckles, Florida oranges, cheese, cranberry curd, etc.  The good ole days,
so to speak.  Things seem a tad out of control, and intimidating for any
newcomers to get involved.

'Someday we probably won't even HAVE radios - We'll just EMAIL ABOUT the
radios we USED to operate and the Q's we USED to make."

> As soon as you introduce the $$$ element, bad things tend to happen.
Personally, I would not be willing to fork out an entry fee to participate
in a contest - this is a hobby, not a profession.  Not only would contest
participation suffer as a result of requiring an entry fee but then there
would be the problem of the few that felt like they needed to "stretch" the
rules to protect those 20 clams they just invested in said contest.  No
thanks, lets keep the money element out of contesting.