[CQ-Contest] qsl's w/o sase

Subject: [CQ-Contest] qsl's w/o sase
From: w2up@mindspring.com (Barry Kutner)
Date: Sat Dec 25 17:17:41 1999
For DX, I respond to all cards - Direct w/IRC or greenstamp get
airmail reply (still can't figure out why anyone wants my card that
badly, but I probably get about 10 a year this way). All buro cards
(average about 1500/year) get returned via the buro. I ship a 5-10 lb
box of cards to the buro once per year.

For stateside, I answer all cards received with SASE. Others go
into the round file unanswered. I occasionally break my rule for new
ops, a particularly interesting QSO, or a comment like "pse QSL
my first QSO with Pennsylvania." I don't get many stateside cards
as I primarily operate DX contests.

One brief anecdote:
A few years ago I received a QSL from a statesider, no SASE. On
his picture QSL, it was prominently written he was a cardiac or
neurosurgeon (can't recall now), and his gear was a 781 and 87A. I
was debating whether to break my usual rule and reply to this card
(professional courtesy from another MD). Decided to stick by my
self-imposed rules. Why Dr. Showoff didn't send an SASE is
beyone me. No, he wasn't a new ham. I'm sure he could afford it.
Maybe he works for an HMO... :.)

Happy holidays,
Barry
Newtown, PA         FRC         alternate: barry@w2up.wells.com