[CQ-Contest] RE: Busted de K1JN

Subject: [CQ-Contest] RE: Busted de K1JN
From: kh2d@kuentos.guam.net (Jim Kehler)
Date: Wed Mar 8 02:38:24 2000
Hi Dave,

I  figured that was the case. The problem now is that with all the
Telnet connections and the global scope of the cluster, what goes on
with one network goes on worldwide. K1EP sent me an email with an
excellent idea:

"As far as contest vs. non-contest, there should be a way to prefix
spots such that a non-contester can filter them out."

I imagine the great majority of contest spots are sent by people using
contest software - put in the call, hit a function key to send the spot.

It would be very simple for the software authors to add a standard
comment to any spot generated with contest software - "<CONTEST>"
or whatever, anything that is unique and not normally seen in a spot
comment field. It would then be simple for nodes/people who didn't
want to see them to filter them. I would imagine that contest software
ignores the comment field in spots anyway, so people in the contest
wouldn't even know they were doing it.

It might even be beneficial to contesters - the DX'ers would still be
using the cluster system for their normal activities, and spotting things
the contesters might need, instead of turning things off for the
weekend or not being able to use the cluster because their local node
choked on all the spots.

A much simpler solution than plugging up all the leaks in local systems
on contest weekends, and one that would be beneficial to everybody.

73, Jim KH2D