[CQ-Contest] New SS Category Proposal

Subject: [CQ-Contest] New SS Category Proposal
From: bogus@does.not.exist.com (bogus@does.not.exist.com)
Date: Sun Mar 12 11:44:19 2000
Hi all,

Ned Stearns, AA7A, of the CAC, posted the following on the SoCal
Contest Club reflector:

>  The ARRL Contest Advisory Committee (CAC) has been given a topic for
>  discussion that I want to forward to you all for some inputs. The topic
>  is this:
>
>  ===================
>
>  The Proposal:   To create a new Sunday 8 hour Sprint category to be
>  added to both the CW and SSB Editions of the 2000 Sweepstakes. The
>  entrant in this category would select any continuous 8 hour period
>  between 1700 UTC and 0300 UTC Monday to operate in.
>
>       Supporting reasons to implement this class included in the proposal
>  include: to boost QSO production which hasn't grown as the other
>  Contests have.(CQWW) to keep interest up for the "Sunday doldrums" which
>  often occur due to whatever reasons to interest the contesters which
>  don't enter due to Saturday work obligations which will increase
>  participation overall.

My comments:

I think it's a great idea. We are always looking for ways to increase
participation in contests and a proven method is to create ways in which
participants can be recognized and rewarded (viz. PINS program). A separate
category which is limited in time duration is an idea, I believe, whose time
has come. More and more of my friends who are budding contesters have the
problem of being unable for whatever reason, to invest the full time period,
but would like to have a chance to be recognized for their efforts.

Secondly, by limiting the new category to 8 continuous hours (out of a
possible 10 -- 17Z to 03Z) on Sunday there is certainly the potential to
enliven the Sunday afternoon "doldrums".

Unlike many proposals for rules changes and categories, this one has two big
advantages --- it's simple, and it's easy to monitor.

In short, I see several advantages to the change and no disadvantages.

I'll commit to sponsoring a plaque for SW Division LP/SO/CW winner for this
category should it be implemented.

What say you? Let your CAC rep know what you think. Maybe we can drag a bunch
of the new generals and extras into contesting after all.

73,
Bill, W1HIJ(/6) -- member: Southern California DX Club and
                                       Southern California Contest Club
Newport Beach, CA
DM13bo

>From k0hb@arrl.org" <k0hb@ARRL.ORG  Sun Mar 12 22:49:05 2000
> Ned Stearns, AA7A, of the CAC, posted the following on the SoCal
> Contest Club reflector:
>
> >  The ARRL Contest Advisory Committee (CAC) has been given a topic for
> >  discussion that I want to forward to you all for some inputs. The
> >  topic
> >  is this:
> >
> >  ===================
> >
> >  The Proposal:   To create a new Sunday 8 hour Sprint category to be
> >  added to both the CW and SSB Editions of the 2000 Sweepstakes. The
> >  entrant in this category would select any continuous 8 hour period
> >  between 1700 UTC and 0300 UTC Monday to operate in.
> >
> >       Supporting reasons to implement this class included in the
> >       proposal
> >  include: to boost QSO production which hasn't grown as the other
> >  Contests have.(CQWW) to keep interest up for the "Sunday doldrums"
> >  which
> >  often occur due to whatever reasons to interest the contesters which
> >  don't enter due to Saturday work obligations which will increase
> >  participation overall.

I'd only change it to allow "any 8 hours in the last 12 hours" (i.e.,
1500-0300Z) and allow timeouts (minimum 30 mins) just like the "regular"
contest period.

This allows them leeway to make some "strategy" decisions just like
the rest of us, but still meet the idea of "fresh meat on Sunday".
(Let's call it like it is!)

I have a little uneasiness that some current participants might just
delay their start until Sunday, thus giving us "Saturday doldrums"
instead.

73, Hans, K0HB