[CQ-Contest] Information Opinions for Article

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Information Opinions for Article
From: hwardsil@WOLFENET.com (Ward Silver)
Date: Sat May 27 21:19:44 2000

> >Between 1960 and 1980 (20 years) what was the rig or rigs that gave
> >contesting a push during that time period?  Why?  What features were
> >significant.

A significant enhancement of the understanding of receiver performance
took place in the mid-seventies - namely, the realization that dynamic
range was actually more important than raw sensitivity once a certain
level of minimum detectable signal had been reached.

Transistorized receivers made the sensitivity issue moot.  Then many
advances in mixer technology came rapidly.  Dr. Ulrich Rohde, DL2UR (?),
did a lot of the publicizing of these topics - Intercept Point, IMD, and
Gain Compression all became issues of the day and receivers improved a
great deal as a result.

If you ever used an SB-303 during a major contest, you know what I mean...

73, Ward N0AX