[CQ-Contest] Station Upgrades

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Station Upgrades
From: kc5ajx@hotmail.com (Rick Bullon)
Date: Mon Jun 12 23:03:05 2000

Hello all.
I didn't,t get in on the start of this thread, But I can't agree on the
statements in the post below.
First the real and easiest answer IS antenna improvements if you can't hear
em you can't work em. All the filters and linears won't help if the antenna
isn't the best you can do taking the fact that some has antenna restrictions
either neighborhood or space, budget restrictions and XYL restrictions hehe.
Put up the best antenna your can then work on the in shack improvements.
IMHO an amplifier is the last thing to add to the shack and not all can run
an amp because of either tvi with the family or the neighbor or finances.
Now as I said I didn't get the original post so I don't know all the facts
but remember that most if not all of the new blood that will be coming into
contesting are going to be slow code types and as such the SSB contests will
see more new blood than the CW tests, therefore the filters added are not
always going to be CW filters.
As for a 3 sec band change unless you are running 2 rigs most likely you
will either me looking for a calling frequency or s&p ing thus it makes no
difference if it takes 3 or 5 sec to change bands. If you have you antennas
in good shape then 3 secs would be reasonable unless you had an amp to
retune. There are plenty of ops that run low power that do real good in the
contests you don't need 1300+ watts to be a contester!!!
In the low power category in the contests upgrade the antennas first then
upgrade the station second. If you want to enter the high power category
then you should have first built excellent low power station  then add the
amp.
I have had good results on the high band (10m) with a pop gun station low
power and a vertical. I plan to put up a inverted Vee for the low bands
until I can get the funds to finish the tower project.
You can have fun in the contests with minimal equipment. I was top tech+ in
the 98 10 meter contest(NTX) and I came in 4 in my section (NTX). WE can't
all be in the top ten box but you can get there by going one step at a time.
First shoot for winning your section, then your state, then your call area,
then the US,and then The World.
I'm sure the top contesters didn't start in the top ten they had work at it
one step at a time
Contesting is suppose to be fun if you win great if you don't and you had
fun great also
I'm sure that I got off the subject of the thread here and if I did I'm
sorry but I just wanted to get my 2 cents in here and I think I put in a
nickel hehe
73
Rick
KC5AJX