[CQ-Contest] Re: Records

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: Records
From: john.w1fv@telocity.com (John Kaufmann)
Date: Sun Feb 11 11:33:40 2001
At 11:56 PM 2/10/01 -0500, Doug Grant K1DG wrote:

 >  > 2. Highest Antenna AGL
 >
 >My data is a bit out of date, but I think the KC1XX 80M stacked delta =
 >loops at 300 and 150 feet (100 and 50 Meters) are at the top (so to =
 >speak). There also used to be an 80 M inverted Vee at W1MX (MIT club =
 >station) at the top of a 300-foot building (the Green Bulding, for =
 >alums) back in the 70s, but I'm not sure if it is still there. That =
 >antenna was used by WA1CQW and WA8WNU (now W1FV and K8RX, respectively) =
 >who took turns winning the 80M single-band category from MX for several =
 >years.

Doug, your memory of those old days at W1MX is very good indeed!  ;-)   The
last time I checked (a couple years ago) the MIT Green Building antenna was
still up although I don't know if it is still in use.  It was actually cut
as a 160 antenna and fed through hundreds of feet of handmade open-wire
line which used old-fashioned ceramic spacer/insulators.  The antenna
itself was really a stealth antenna because it was so high it was
practically invisible from ground.  However, the open-wire feedline running
down the side of this huge building in the middle of campus was quite a
sight, especially when it would ice up.  We used it on 160 and 80.  K8RX
(ex-WA8WNU) is no longer active.  And of course, I (W1FV) am still doing
this low-band craziness, as I am one of the architects and operators of the
80-meter monster at KC1XX.

73, John W1FV