[CQ-Contest] Tip - Weak Signal Detection

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Tip - Weak Signal Detection
From: field@nucleus.com (Tony Field)
Date: Sun Feb 25 21:13:24 2001
From: "Pete Smith" <n4zr@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Tip - Weak Signal Detection

 > At 10:07 PM 2/25/01 -0600, Dan Weisenburger wrote:
 >  >As the band begins to sound dead, switch to wide filter.
 >
 > Boy, this sure doesn't work for me.  It also doesn't seem to me to make
 > theoretical sense, particularly on CW.  Why would the noise floor drop?

The noise floor does NOT drop - and, of course, the noise power is larger
compared to the original cw signal. However....

There is a curious psycho-acoustical phenomena dealing with noise - a weak
signal that is "almost free of noise" is more difficult to hear than one
surrounded in a reasonable amount of broad band (white/pink etc) noise.  The
noise provides a context that the brain needs to decipher the signal.  Thus,
using the SSB filter in a CW contest may result in the ability to copy
signals that are difficult to copy using a narrow cw filter.  Of course,
this is not a guarantee - it depends upon the quality of signal, noise, and
your personal ear/brain system.

There was an interesting article a few years ago in Scientific American that
describes effect.

tony (ve6yp)